The bible was published in 1855 by Eyre and Spottiswood for the British and Foreign Bible Society. It is beautifully embossed, and it was new when it was first used. On the front fly leaf there are three entries. First for George in 1856, then for Goerge's son on his marriage in 1861. Then a third inscription for the grandchild Jane Ann Mackereth in 1946. The two sides of the end flyleaf are covered with contemporaneous inscriptions, from a marriage in Bedale in 1861, through events in Whitby, Lambeth, Surrey and Sussex, including Beddington. This is a very good example of a quality bible used by a family before the more commercial bibles with special pages were printed.